Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Void | James Owen Weatherall

*I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review.

Summary:

This book is an overview of the definition of "nothing" from a mathematical and physical perspective over, pretty much, the entirety of human thought on the subjects. Most of the focus is on Leibniz, Newton & the invention of calculus as well as Einstein's relativity and the QED that followed. 

Review:

I always enjoy when a mathematics/physics/philosophy author has a strong sense of humor. The number of "side notes" I read regarding how mathematicians treat physicists and visa versa, was delightful and really helped to keep me interested in what I was reading. There was a little bit of skimming, I'm a little embarrassed to say, but for the most part I was quite intrigued. Heck, I even learned several (most likely watered down) aspects of Quantum Electrodynamics (QED). I will say that I recommend getting a physical copy of this book. Almost half of the book is Weatherall's notes and the ebook format that I received wasn't very good for going to the end note numbered and then back to where I was reading. Still, I really liked this one. 3.5 hoots!


                Hoot!Hoot!

                Hoot! Hoo

No comments:

Post a Comment