Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Cake Flavored Books Tag


Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've done a tag post and I found a very nice one over at Pirates and Pixie Dust: The Cake Flavored Books Tag! Now, she took a couple liberties with the tag that I won't be following, but I will make some changes to the original. I like that this tag can change with your tastes. See if you can spot the differences. I'm also adding a bit of a challenge to myself in that I'm only selecting books I've read in 2017.

Chocolate Cake - A Dark Book

I've read several dark books. They're not my favorites. But one dark book that I genuinely enjoyed, that got me to cringe and cry, was United States of Japan by Peter Tieryas. This book starts out dark and does not stop, though there was the occasional humor. 


Vanilla Cake - A Light Read

For me a light read is something that may not be particularly engaging, but is still enjoyable and kinda short. For this, I'm going to pick a more recent read, Cupcakes, Trinkets and Other Deadly Magic by Meghan Ciana Doidge. Definitely a pleasant read with a lot of charm.


Red Velvet - A Book That Looks Good

Gotta give this one to Clockwork Dynasty. The cover was a big part of the reason I chose to request the book from NetGalley. I'm a sucker for the steampunk design and it is drawn so well!


Cheesecake - A Book You'd Recommend to Anyone

Earlier this year Fluxxdog asked me to read his new copy of Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, based on the web comic Schlock Mercenary. Though I had never read the comic (working, very slowly, through it now) I really did enjoy this book. It is pretty self contained, you don't have to know the comic to be able to enjoy it and it's full of a lot of good advice and even more humor.


Themed Birthday Cake - A Book That Was Made For You

If I could go further back, I'd say Icon of Earth by Demethius Jackson. For 2017, though, it's gotta be Sungrazer by Jay Posey. This book had everything that I love. Military Sci-Fi, amazingly cool technology, intelligent and engaging characters, and more. It was so much my kind of book that I went ahead and bought the book that came before it as well. Don't worry, Sungrazer is definitely a stand-alone sequel. I'm reading the first one for fun more than for filling in plot holes.


Coffee Cake - A Book That Made You Fall Apart

There have been a few books this year that have made me cry (new record!) but I'm using many for other categories, so I'm going to give this one to City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett. While it didn't make me cry as much as others, the ending was just so beautiful and perfect. It was a great way to end things. 


Carrot Cake - A Collection of Short Stories That Totaled a Great Book

Yes, I had to change this one. My husband LOVES carrot cake because of all the different flavors and textures. As for this category, I'm going to say The Sea Is Ours edited by Jaymee Goh and Joyce Chng. A collection of steampunk stories from Southeast Asia that introduced me to a lot of new authors. While there's always one story in every anthology I don't like, the remainder of the stories in this were more than enough to make this a great read.


Cupcakes - A Series With 4+ Books

No question, I give this one to the Lives of Tao series by Wesley Chu. I had started with a later book last year and I caught up with almost the entire series this year. I still need to read The Days of Tao which is a novella that takes place between the last book of the original trilogy and the first book of a new trilogy within the same world. I cannot tell you how much I've loved this series. It's made me laugh and cry and I'm a fan for life.


 Fruit Cake - A Classic That Surprised You

I haven't finished any classics this year but I am in the process of reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. I'd never read it before and it's nothing like I had thought. I blame Disney!


Marble Cake - A Book That Gave You Mixed Emotions

Hands down, this one goes to The Rebellion's Last Traitor by Nik Korpon. I can see why some people would think it would be a happy ending. I can see what the author was going for. But there was a lot of...collateral damage (trying to avoid spoilers) that left me feeling less than enthused.


Hummingbird Cake - A Book Outside Your Usual Genre That You Loved

I'm not usually a murder mystery reader, but Ten Dead Comedians by Fred Van Lente was quite the gem! The "who" was kinda easy to figure out. The "how" was so much fun to read about. I don't normally read murder mysteries, but I really loved this book.


So that's my take on the Cake Flavored Book Tag. Do you agree or disagree with any of my choices? Have you done this tag too? Let me know in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment