Saturday, February 17, 2018

Human Errors | Nathan H. Lents

*Image and book provided via NetGalley for an honest review.

Summary:

Professor of Biology, Nathan H. Lents, discusses the many, many, many failures present in our human bodies that you'd think evolution would've fixed up or never made possible in the first place. The topics go from head to feet and back again.

Review:

This book is clearly meant for lay people like myself. It is written at an accessible level and has plenty of humor to make the reading engaging. If my high school biology class had used this book, I would have learned a lot more. As it is, I feel a lot more informed about human anatomy than I used to be. From the structure of our eyes to the interconnections of the bones in our ankles and wrists. This is a very educational book that keeps your interest and is easy to read.

And it's not just the physical aspects of humanity that are discussed. As interesting as it is to question why our ACL, even after all these years, is still better designed for a species that walks on four limbs, our brains are even more confounding! Lents doesn't have all the answers, but he is really good at explaining the problems and their theorized origins in our evolutionary history. And not just the physical stuff, either. The social and mental stuff  gets discussed at length as well.

I really liked this book and highly recommend it for anyone who needs a refresher on biology or has questions on anatomy. The book is very comprehensible for those of us without a lot of background on the topic. There is an excellent blend of information, theory and humor. I happily give 4 hoots!

               Hoot!Hoot!

               Hoot!Hoot!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it! Thanks for this great review. My goal in writing is exactly what you said right here: "If my high school biology class had used this book, I would have learned a lot more." Truly an honor for me that you felt this way. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete