Saturday, July 19, 2014

Video Game Review: Duck Tales Remastered


I'll admit, I picked this game for my first Video Game Review because I thought it would be easy. Now that I'm done with it, I have to say, if I had a swear jar, all my money would be in it by now. It's been so long since I've played a platformer game I'd forgotten a bunch of the mechanics. I'd definitely lost the thumb callouses I used to have and now my poor fingers are aching.

In the Duck Tales game, you play as Scrooge McDuck, originally rescuing his nephews and his vault from the Beagle Brothers. When you defeat the Brothers, however, you find their goal was a painting that had a hidden treasure map in it. Let the adventure begin! You have to fight your way through gorillas, giant bees, evil hockey players, Incan natives, giant spiders, and more to get each piece of the treasure. And only when you have all the pieces of the treasure do you get to the actual villains! 

For the levels when you're looking for the pieces of treasure, the game is challenging, but not frustrating. Everything is pretty straightforward and while it isn't easy (even though I had it on "Easy" mode) it's still fun. The creatures you have to fight are pretty creative in design. The maps are generally easy to read. And the bosses of these levels are pretty fun.

Then you get to your first real boss, Count Dracula Duck. I thought that you had to jump on his head to defeat him, but the first couple of times I tried, I got hurt. So I figured it was more of an endurance match. Five deaths and one rage quit later, I decided it was time to take a break before I threw the controller into the TV screen. I did a bit of research and found out that you do have to jump on his head, but I was going about it in the wrong manner. Look it up for yourself, if you wish to play :) 

When I finally got back to playing and defeated Count Dracula Duck, next came the race for the Lucky Dime. This also required me to look up what I was doing wrong before I got too frustrated again.* When I won the race, I made the mistake of putting the controller down. Let this be a warning to you, it ain't over until the villains are on their way to jail.

Another thing to keep in mind is that this is an exposition heavy game. It was modeled after a cartoon so you're going to have to have scenes where the voice actors can participate. It was interesting to revisit childhood memories of cartoons. I was happy to see Bubba play a part in the actual game play, he was my favorite :) Definitely more relatable than Webbigail. 

Overall, the game is good fun. Challenging, frustrating fun. I give it five hoots.

Hoot!Hoot!
Hoot!Hoot!
Hoot!


*FYI, my arms are still incredibly shaky.

No comments:

Post a Comment